Posted October 7, 2009on:
Soo I have finally completed the pink floral dress!
So here is the dress front and back; I hadn’t added the zipper to the back yet, that is why it is so smooth haha but once I did, the zipper was pretty invisible. I haven’t hemmed it; will do that soon
I had a realization when I tried the completed dress on and it did not look good. It has a lot to do with the shoulder hole; the hole is too big so the armpit area has a baggy look. Basically it looks dowdy. I tried seeing what I could do to minimize that effect, for example maybe making the dress tighter, but I think maybe only taking off the sleeves will correct this.
The flippy skirt I like, and the top isn’t tight so it is comfortable. I may eventually take off the sleeves if I feel it would really help. The dress looks fine with a cardigan over it, which was the way I planned on wearing it after seeing the pattern drawing, so maybe I’ll just do that!
It was good to learn a lesson about fit and what styles are best suited for me. It appears this dress style isn’t ideal for my body type, so I won’t be making it again. Even if the sleeves looked right, I would still have to wear a belt with the dress, just to give it more shape because the dress just sort of hangs down. I was glad to make this, and to learn lessons from the dress, and look forward to wearing it with a cardigan!
I have been editing the purple tunic I made in the first post. But the main project I was working on, another dress, I actually made a bunch of big mistakes. If I have enough fabric, I think I’ll just redo it. Tune in next time, where I will learn another major lesson about pattern alterations and fit!