Striped Shirt Part 2 (Last Part?)
Posted September 19, 2009on:
So the shirt is finished! So to speak…
So since I wrote that I would be finishing up this shirt, I felt a strange need to go and be productive and actually complete this shirt.
Here is where I left off. The collar is those two things hanging in the front, and when they are tied up they become a bow! I had to sew up the sides, but since the pattern was a little bigger than my actual size, I realized it would be baggy and not fitted. So what I did was something not recommended by the experts I’m sure, and probably won’t work most of the time. I tried this shirt on and grabbed the sides to see how much extra fabric there was. And so normally the seam allowance would be 5/8″, so I would sew that amount from the edge. But that would leave the shirt baggy, and so to make it fitted I figured out that I could lose 1.5 inches from the side. So I just sewed a really big seam… And it worked!
Next I had to make the sleeves. The directions for the cuffs on the sleeves were a little unclear, so I think I followed them correctly, but I’m not sure. Also, the directions call for 3 buttons and 3 buttonholes on each cuff. That’s a lot of matching buttons I don’t have, so I’ll leave that for when I get some buttons. I probably will only sew 2 buttons on each cuff in the end.
And then the next step is attaching the sleeves to the body of the shirt.
Yeah so I “finished” the shirt!! After I took this photo, I realized that the arm on the right- I actually sewed it on inside out! So then I went to take out the shirt by undoing the stitches with a seam ripper. Then I realized that I actually took off the sleeve that I sewed on correctly! Fail.
But… once I fix the sleeves (it is always easier to do the second time around, since I don’t want a third time around), add buttons/buttonholes to the cuffs, and then finish off the bottom seam… I really shall be done. Wheeee